Disaster Mental Health Handouts
The following disaster handouts are categorized into material for Adult Victims, Families & Child Victims, and Disaster Workers & their Families.
- Victim Emotional Health
Emotional health issues for victims, from the American Red Cross.
- Warning Signs
Warning signs of trauma-related stress, from the American Psychological Association.
- Critical Incident
Critical incident stress information sheet, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
- Normalizing Emotions
You are not alone! description of normal emotions following a disaster, from the American Red Cross.
- Building Safety
Reducing fear about building safety, by Dan Friedman, American Society of Home Inspectors.
- Coping Suggestions
Coping suggestions, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
- Steps to Take
After a disaster: Steps you can take, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
Families and Child Victims
Disaster Workers and Their Families
Additional (External) Disaster Materials for Adults, Children, and Families
- checknew("2/15/2005") Red Cross PDF on Tsunamis
PDF information page on Tsunamis, from the American Red Cross (and affiliated agencies).
- checknew("2/15/2005") Disease Prevention Pamphlet
Disease prevention information -- with images -- for tsunami disaster victims (in PDF format)
- checknew("2/15/2005") Disease Prevention Information
Disease prevention pamphlet -- primarily a table -- for tsunami relief workers (in PDF format).
- checknew("2/15/2005") Breaking Bad News by Telephone
A guide and checklist (in PDF format) for breaking difficult news to victim next of kin via telephone, from the British Embassy in Thailand.
- checknew("2/15/2005") Coping with Loss and Grief
A brief PDF guide to comfort and guide people coping with the loss of loved ones and related grief, from the British Embassy in Thailand.
- checknew("2/15/2005") Coping with a Natural Disaster
PDF guide for people dealing with natural disaster: answers 5 common questions about responses to abnormal events; British Embassy in Thailand.
- checknew("2/15/2005") Psychosocial issues re: Tsunami Help
Collected comments for workers offering help to various tsunami victim groups: women, separated children, media, in refugee camps, etc.
- checknew("2/15/2005") Coping with Disasters
MedlinePlus: a list of news releases, divided into categories -- latest news; overviews; children, teenagers, seniors, etc.
- APA: What to Expect After Trauma
Expectable reactions to trauma or disaster in children and adults, ways to cope, and guidelines for parents and teachers.
- Resources on Coping with Traumatic Events
A list of links to resources related to coping with various traumatic events, including disasters, collected by the APA.
- checknew("11/30/2004") Hurricane-Related Distress
Brief, practical, suggestions concerning how to handle the stress and anxiety of multiple hurricanes, by Charles Figley PhD.
- FEMA for Kids
FEMA site for children, includes sections for learning, preparing and connecting with others.
- Disaster Help for Parents and Children
The Child Advocate site's collection of links re: disaster and trauma intervention; a starting point for helping children.
- Helping Children & Adolescents After a Disaster
Several handouts and statements by the AACAP on understanding and helping kids after dissaters.
- Facing Sudden Loss
A brief handout by Judy Tatelbaum discusses typical responses to sudden loss, as well as coping strategies.
- Sudden Loss Resources
A collection of links to resources on sudden loss, from the Hospice Foundation of America.
- KEN Publications Catalog
Disaster Relief, Crisis Counseling, and other publications (and videos) available from KEN.
- After a Disaster: A Series of Publications
Virginia Cooperative Extension presents several articles, focused on safety, food & water, stress, insurance, cleaning and roof repairs.
A survivor-helping-survivor message site, not a professional mental health services site.
- Emotional First Aid
Peter Levine's synopsis of do's & don'ts, psychological & physiological responses, and helpful responses -- useful after disaster.
Additional (External) Disaster Materials focused on Terrorist Attacks
- checknew("07/05/2004") Fostering Resilience in Response to Terrorism
A set of nine fact sheets, in PDF format, designed to assist psychologists seeking to foster resilience in a variety of populations.
- checknew("12/01/2003") Handouts & Other Information
Trauma Center page lists several PDF resources concerning responses to traumatic events, including terrorist attacks.
- National Center for PTSD: Dealing with the Aftereffects of Terrorism
A set of handouts focused on disaster mental health from the National Center for PTSD for public, journalists, and clinicians.
- NIMH: Response to Terrorist Acts against America
A collection of links on PTSD, depression, anxiety, and other resources that may be helpful following September attacks.
- checknew("7/01/2003") Terrorism & Trauma: Professional Resources
A collection of fact sheets and specialized resources for mental health professionals helping others after terrorist attacks.
- Helping Children & Adolescents Cope with Violence & Disasters
An NIMH resource, updated after September 2001, discusses trauma and PTSD, how children respond, and how to help them.
- Terrorism: Trauma, Grief, and Recovery
Kathleen Nader's article, written after the 11 September attacks, addresses psychological first aid, recognizing vulnerability, etc.
- Combating PTSD, Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
Breif article by Stephen Bernhardt covers PTSD symptoms, depression and suicidal ideation, and lists coping strategies.
- Terrorism and Children
Fact sheet from the National Center for PTSD, on children's responses to trauma (by ages), and how parents can talk with them.
- APA: Helping Kids Cope with Terrorism
Public education materials designed to help kids cope with recent terrorism, from the American Psychological Association.
- Tragic Times, Healing Words
"Helping Children Cope", by Sesame Street - Parents website. Includes how to respond to your child saying 'I'm scared!'.
- Talking with Children when Disaster Strikes
Dr. David Walsh has written a brief handout for parents, including tips to help children of different ages with fear, etc.
- Coping With Disaster: Suggestions for Helping Children With Cognitive Disabilities
A useful summary of what to expect in children's responses to disaster and loss & general strategies to promote coping.
- Crisis Resources
The Guidance Channel's collection of nine helpful articles for parents or teachers talking with children about terrorist attacks.
Disaster Web Links
- T his section contains many web links to disaster-related sites. Links concerning general disaster response are organized by scope or focus. Other links providing information about current or recent disasters follow them, and a rotating list of temporary links focused on specific current or recent disasters concludes this page.
Disaster Agencies and Associations in the United States
International Disaster Agencies or Sites
International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent
Home page of the International Federation, with many links to European and other sites outside the US.
Preparation & Disaster Planning
From Dept. of Homeland Security, this website encourages us to assemble a supply kit, a family plan, and to be informed.
Disaster Mental Health Guides
Disaster Mental Health Guidebook
Full text of an excellent disaster mental health manual for clinicians and administrators, by several noted authors.
- checknew("2/15/2003") Draft Guidelines for International Trauma Training
ISTSS' Taskforce on International Trauma Training: draft guidelines for mental health professionals who train internationally.
- checknew("07/05/2004") PTSD: Clinical Practice Guidelines
Useful clinical guides for working with PTSD and acute stress reactions, from US Veterans Department (PDF & Word formats).
- checknew("07/05/2004") Treatment Choice in Psychological Therapies
Clinical practice guidelines, developed to aid decisions about which forms of psychotherapy are most appropriate for which patients.
- checknew("11/30/2004") APA Practice Guidelines
Treatment guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association, for a variety of disorders (including Acute Stress Disorder).
- checknew("2/15/2003") Mental Health in Emergencies: Mental and Social Aspects of Health of Populations Exposed to Extreme Stressors
An 8-page WHO document, in PDF format, summarizes general principles and intervention strategies for disaster phases.
- checknew("7/01/2003") Mental Health of Refugees
A 140+ page WHO book, in PDF format, describes refugee mental health and treatment issues. Also available in Spanish.
- checknew("10/15/2002") Psychosocial Issues for Children and Families in Disasters: a Guide For The Primary Care Physician
This detailed guide, by the American Academy of Pediatrics' Work Group on Disasters, is written for family physicians.
- AAETS: Five PDF Documents
These PDF files address crisis and traumatic responses, and how parents, teachers, and emergency responders can help.
- School Disaster: Planning & Initial Interventions
Article by Kathi Nader and Robert Pynoos covers interventions for children, parents and staff.
- Community Crisis Response Team Training Manual
Marlene Young's 1994 NOVA training guide for individuals and communities responding to crisis.
- DeWolfe's Training Manual
A 156-page training manual, by Dr Deborah DeWolfe, for mental health and human service workers in major disasters (PDF file).
- DeWolfe's Field Manual
A 40-page field manual, by Dr Deborah DeWolfe, for mental health and human service workers in major disasters (PDF file).
- Psychosocial Planning Guide
Health Canada's 116 page Personal Services disaster guide; requires Acrobat PDF Reader.
- Coping with Disaster: a Guidebook to Psychosocial Intervention
John Ehrenreich's guide to help people cope with the emotional effects of disasters (requires PDF format).
- Disasters: Mental Health Interventions
Extensive information about disaster mental health, written by author John D Weaver.
- The Disaster Handbook: Community & Family Issues
Single chapter (in PDF format) on common issues of family stress, from a larger (book length) Handbook.
- checknew("03/01/2004") Trauma Treatment Manual
Ed Schmookler's excellent treatment manual, initially written for Bosnia, applies to most disasters. Now posted at this site.
- Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Expert Consensus Guidelines by Edna Foa et al, in PDF format: for PTSD treatment, with a smaller guide for families.
- Guidelines for Treatment of DID (MPD) in Adults
ISSD's 1997 guidelines for treating Dissociative Identity Disorder (or MPD) in adults.
- Key Concepts of Disaster Mental Health
Full text of the first chapter from a disaster response handbook, written by Diane Myers.
- checknew("5/01/2002") Victims of Disasters: Helping People Recover
Dr Parson's article on helping affected people recover from acute distress to healing and integration following a disaster.
- Children & Natural Disasters: A Guide for Teachers
A guide written specifically for teachers dealing with children stressed by natural or other disasters.
- Psychosocial Issues for Older Adults in Disasters
Written by William Oriol, this guide for health and mental health professionals is in PDF format.
- Sudden Deaths: a Survival Guide for Family and Friends
John Weaver's handout focuses on death from transportation accidents, but is widely appropriate.
- Family Assistance Plan for Aviation Disasters
Index to the NTSB Family Assistance Plan for Aviation Disasters,provided as two separate HTML files.
- Guide to Talking About Disasters
Red Cross guide assists those who may be providing disaster safety information to the public.
Medical & Mental Health Education
Emergency Management Gold
Extensive site, including link library, created by a certified Emergency Manager for other professionals.
Business Continuity after a Disaster
Disaster Recovery Guide
Disaster Recovery Guide offers information, guidance, tips & links for those seeking help with business continuity planning.
- checknew("07/05/2004") Disaster Recovery Community Forum
Disaster Recovery Community Forum offers interactive information for those with responsibility for disaster recovery planning.
- Disaster Resource Guide
Online information includes articles and other resources to facilitate business continuity after a disaster.
- Disaster Recovery Journal
Articles, products, subscription information, and links to other sites specializing in disaster contingency planning.
Web site of the British Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Group.
This web site is focused on news and views relating to risk assessment and risk management.
- Global Continuity
"A global portal for business continuity management" -- extensive site has news and services.
- Rothstein Catalog on Disaster Recovery
Online catalog of videos and other products of particular interest to the disaster recovery industry.
PASE offers products, training and consulting for post-disaster business continuity.